2.26.2008

Wretching and VD

I really wish that there was something going on that was interesting enough to blog about. I really do. Unfortunately, I have been at the library for the majority of my free time, busting ass and trying to get through this semester without slacking. Because I am so good at slacking that it frightens even me.

All in all, it has been an uneventful couple of weeks. Spliff finally recovered from whatever the hell was causing the four days of wretching and by miracle alone, I avoided having the same thing happen to me. It got pretty scary there for a second though…she actually had to wake me up in the middle of the night because she couldn’t breathe. She had become so dehydrated that she could barely stand up and the ER was really the only option. After shots in the ass, anti-nausea meds aplenty, and finally two bags of fluids, she is all better.

We threw a Sweetheart Dance at the nursing home on Valentine’s Day. It started right after dinner and I came in at 5 to get the DJ set up and make sure that everything was in order. I have to say, it was probably the best Valentine’s Day I have had in years. It sounds lame, I know. But seriously, I am not a fan of the holiday, because it doesn’t make sense. And it honestly means nothing but spending a lot of money and making single people feel like…scum. So, I had a good time. The DJ played a good mix of feel-good oldies while the staff danced with the residents who were able to get out of their wheelchairs. It was so awesome to see them smile the way they did. The kitchen provided snacks and punch which we served in champagne flutes. Every lady got a single rose.

We have one couple there who live together and on Valentine’s Day, the wife was sick. I gave a rose to her husband and wheeled him back to his room when the party was over and greeted the wife, who had been in bed for days. She sat, quietly reading the paper until she saw us enter. I pushed her husband up to her bed and he handed her a single red rose and said in his very hoarse, soft voice, “Happy Valentine’s Day.” Her eyes lit up and her smile took over her entire body. Naturally, this is where I burst into tears and had to run out of the room and back to work. Because I am a sap.

It really was a great day though. I am so lucky to get to be a part of all of these lives.


----------------
Now playing: The Pack - Got My Vans On
via FoxyTunes

No comments: