12.01.2004

So, today I have been giving a lot of thought to my fast approaching 25th birthday. I had been having a lot of trouble accepting that I am now a "quarter of a century" old and I think I finally came to terms with it today. I was having a conversation with my mom yesterday about my sister's 21st birthday in February and she informed me that everyone is planning to go to Vegas that weekend. So I say to her, "Why do I always get the shaft?" The reason that I get the shaft is because my birthday in on Christmas Day. So, she says to me, "Because you couldn't wait three weeks to be born!" It's true...apparently it is all my fault.

Anyway, I started thinking...And I have never ever had a birthday party. When I turned 11, we tried to have one, and then, for the only time ever, it snowed in Florida (iced, rather...), I don't know if people know this, but we Florida people cannot drive in snow (ice, rather...), so all the roads were closed! Needless to say, no one could come to my eleventh birthday party. Naturally, after that, I just kept hoping that one day, SOMEONE would throw me a birthday party, but no one ever did. And then...on my 23rd birthday, my grandmother died. It was a long, terrible day that started with both of my grandparents in hospital beds and ended in the "turning off of the machines"(however Jessica did make Christmas dinner and a chocolate pie for me, so that I wouldn't feel so bad about missing out on Christmas AND my birthday)...so there ya go...After that I decided that I didn't need to have a birthday anymore, or at the least, it would be in June...My friends actually did try to put something together in July one year. It was very sweet, they got me a cake that said, "Happy 23 1/2 birthday, Crystal". It was nice.....but something was missing...like no one took it seriously and I really wanted it to be real. I really just wanted to forget everything that had happened...

So, I decided, I deserve a damn party. And I don't want to have to think about it. I don't want to have to plan anything, I just want to do something fun and have a great birthday and I want to have all of my friends there, I think I should have that...just this once. I deserve this more than my sister deserves to go to Vegas! After all, she was the one with the actual birthday parties.
I told Tiff tonight that I want a party...so I am leaving it in her hands. We are gonna party like it's 1980-2004...dammit.

Stuck-in-my-head Song of the Day: "Oh Me"-Nirvana

No comments: