9.01.2005

Even in the midst of a crisis on home soil, even when so many people are sending aid, even when our hearts are going out to those people who have lost their homes, their families, their livelihoods, I am still seeing so much selfishness around me.

All I have heard all morning is incessant bitching about the high price of gas and it is making me insane. Yeah, I am not happy about it either, but there is nothing we can do. I am thanking my lucky stars right now that no one I love is dead or homeless right now. I am hanging on to the idea that these selfish bastards all around can get over having to spend three bucks on a gallon of gas and just realize how damn lucky we all are. It could have just as easily been Florida. I could just as easily have been our city that was completely demolished. And we aren’t any different. And really, gas prices are the last thing on my mind.

I have been reading and reading about the damage that Katrina caused. I have been mourning for a city that I loved and the people who made it what it was. It is so hard to imagine what those people in the affected areas are going through. They are in my thoughts and prayers.

Now is, for me, a time to be thankful and to do whatever is in my power to help these people try to put their lives back together after this tragedy.

1 comment:

Jon said...

Amen sister. I gave a little this morning. It is the least we can do. I don't often get irritated by panhandlers, but last night this guy comes up to me with his usual routine. Now I normally have a huge open heart for the homeless, but this dude was about our age (mid to late 20s) and quite healthy looking and he kept saying he was "down on his luck." I almost went off on him and pointed out that down on your ass does not equal down on your luck. Down on your luck is working two minimum wage jobs to barely feed your two kids and pay for your studio apartment because their dad decided he wanted to run off with a stripper. So one day, you wake up and find out a hurricane is coming right for you and you have neither the money or vehicle to get out of its way, so you grab your children and go to the superdome because that is the only shelter the city has to offer. So you gather what little you have a of value. It doesn't take you long to realize no preparations were made and there is little in the way of food or water being offered. When the storm ends, you walk out to the see your city and everything you worked so hard to just maintain is now DESTROYED. So you have two hungry babies, no job and nowhere to call home despite the fact you have busted your ass for years to make ends meet. That is down on your luck.