12.06.2005

Irritations

Most Irritating Day Ever.

There has been some construction going on in my building, (on my building, rather) for almost a week. It provides a lovely pounding that starts promptly at 6am every morning (including Saturday and Sunday). It has also caused a shortage of parking spaces in the lot (there are only about ten spaces anyway since I live in a very small building).

Last night when I got home, there were open spaces in the lot and I thought, “Sweet! I won’t have to get stuck in the mud OR park down the street!” So I parked. So this morning, when I left for work, already a few minutes behind my regular schedule, there was a car, which was parked behind me, a van beside me, and a truck between the two. Not to mention seven or eight construction workers who all very pleasantly say hello. All just standing there. When I got in my car, I expected that one of them might a) shut the doors the van, b) move the car forward, or c) move their fucking asses (silly me).

When one of them finally decided that maybe I was having some trouble backing out (I am not sure whether it was the 758 point turn I was attempting to make or the flabbergasted look on my face that gave it away), he ran around to the back end of my car and directed me halfway out. Another one finally, mouthing the words “I’m sorry” jumped to the front of my car and directed me from that end. Ten minutes later, I had managed to squeeze my car out of a sardine can and onto the road. But to my dismay, everyone had forgotten how to drive.

I am a defensive driver. I don’t like stupid people. And I hate being awake before noon. These are things you should know about me if you are on the road and in my path when I am on my way to work. And today, had I not already been fifteen minutes behind schedule by the time I got on the interstate, I probably wouldn’t have wanted to get out of the car and choke anyone. However, this was not the case. I most definitely was fifteen minutes behind. And I most definitely did want to choke some people. Lots of them.

I got to work safely and just a few minutes late. (Crisis averted)

But just when I thought things were going to get better….

1. The doc that I work for suddenly decided that I might as well just do his job.
2. The nurses still don’t know how to work a fax machine which prompts them to walk straight past the fax machine and hand me papers to fax, instead of just pressing ten numbers all by themselves.
3. My pain pills weren’t working.

I decided to get out of the office for lunch and seeing as I needed gas and cigarettes, I thought I would stop and get a sub too. When I got to the gas station, I slid my debit card through the machine and it said “Please see attendant”…Fuuuuuuuck. So, I went inside and tried the ATM. “Your card has expired”. Fuuuuuuuck.

(Aside: I knew that it was expired, but the damn bank hadn’t issued a new one yet and blamed it on “holiday mail slowness” and even after I had called several times and been assured that it would be here, it wasn’t. Assholes.)

No gas for me. No cigarettes for me.

I had an idea though, I would go to Publix and write a check and get sandwiches for me and the girls from the office and get cigarettes. But…wait…oh no I wouldn’t because my checkbook would be…sitting on my desk. Yep. Of course it would. M was with me, luckily, or no one would have gotten lunch and they would have had to knock me out for the rest of the day (nicotine withdrawals would not have been fun for them). Crisis averted.

Then, just as I am about to hurl myself out of a window, it is five o’clock and I can go. Finally. My back is stiff and aching. My mood is sour. My gas tank is empty. My debit card is floating around somewhere in Asia. But at least the day is over.

I left work, sat in traffic for thirty minutes to go three miles, got to a gas station (coworker lent me a few bucks after hearing my story), and filled up. When I got home, there were parking spaces and no construction workers to be seen. Things were looking up. Until I got to the front door.

Notice:
We will be inspecting all apartments on Wednesday for water damage due to construction on roof.

Fuuuuuuuuck.
I have a cat. No pets allowed. So now…I am going to highly sedate myself and hope that tomorrow I can figure out somewhere to take him or leave him here and pray to all that is holy that I won’t get evicted. Wish me luck, internet.

Stuck-in-my-head Song of the Day - "We Want a Rock" - TMBG

1 comment:

wmjwatson said...

Can't one of your friends keep your cat for ONE day?