3.21.2005

Velcro

I did a lot of bonding this weekend.

Friday, after work, I bonded with On Demand and delivery pizza and then a very early bonding session with my bed ensued. It was nice to spend time alone again and I felt comfort in the idea of moving for the first time.

Saturday, I bonded with my new iPod. And I must say, that thing is awesome. I had to work for the first Saturday in ages and wasn’t happy about the interruption to my sleepy weekend plans, but it was only four hours and then I was free.

My sister was in town. We went to a bar for the first time since she turned twenty-one. We laughed at the moron guys who approached us and had all kinds of unoriginal things to say. We laughed at ourselves for becoming tipsy so quickly. We talked about how our parents ruined any prospect either of us ever had of being normal or balanced. And we talked about Grandma, Jess, Matt, and John. All of them gone and we cried. I had never realized how much we are alike, and I had never realized that I wasn’t the only one who would never be completely sure of anything.

We spent Sunday morning at brunch with friends among coffee and Jack Johnson’s second album and then she left.

Casper spent the day with me yesterday. We soaked up the sun and talked about books and relationships and things that we love. I think she and I will be just fine in the new place. And she agrees. She says she thinks she will learn a lot from me. Imagine. Someone learning from me. I told her not to hold her breath.

After a weekend full of so much beauty and contentment, it is hard to feel unhappy and uncertain. But harder still to come back to work.

No comments: