4.13.2007

JobLESS

I have to admit, this life without a job thing is pretty weird. After working for the same company for 7 years, it feels almost like I am skipping…and that at any minute, my boss is going to call and tell me that I am in huge trouble and I have to come in right now. Alas, it won’t happen…and honestly, I feel great now. At first, it was a little scary to think that I wasn’t going to have to get up and go in to the office, but after the shock wore off, it actually started to feel great. Like a vacation. No, more like a tremendous stupid weight had been lifted and I could finally relax.

So I have started looking for a job and started settling my affairs with HR and working to try and get enrolled in the classes that I need to graduate…you know, setting up appointments with people at school, looking into programs that have nothing to do with patients and doctors, and looking into jobs that will not include people calling me from Texas to tell me that they are stuck in the bathtub and don’t know what to do. I am excited. I might actually figure out what I want to do and stop accepting a paycheck instead of happiness or fulfillment.

D seems to think that, since I know the entire city, I should go into PR. Which would actually be something I would really enjoy, but I am still unsure about everything. Again, there is a great deal of risk involved in anything I choose…but she says that it took a lot of balls to just quit my job, so that I might as well go all in and find something that I actually like. She’s right. I know. She usually is. (I would venture to say always but I don’t want her getting a big head.)

For the time being, I am enjoying my newfound slack and I am looking for a job that will pay the bills…nothing too stressful, nothing too ridiculous, and nothing that will require me to wear bright orange shorts or a cheerleader uniform.

No comments: