4.04.2011

Day Seven: A Song that Reminds You of a Certain Event

I bounced back and forth on a couple of songs here because I have been to a lot of concerts and a lot of them were really memorable for me. But also, I remember a lot of ridiculous details when things happen. I remember the first time I ever slow-danced with a boy at my friend’s 11th birthday party and “Vision of Love” by Mariah Carey was playing. And I remember that the first car accident I was ever in forever scarred me and I can no longer listen to “Super Bon Bon” by Soul Coughing. But I didn’t pick these songs. Oh no, internet.

The song that stood out the most when I was thinking about this was “Heart of Gold” by Neil Young. I love this effing song. It could have actually fallen into any number of categories in this Challenge but the reason that it shows up here is sort of a touchy subject for me still.

When I was 16, Brandizzle, Tory and I took Brandizzle’s mom’s Crowne Victoria on our first ever road trip to see the H.O.R.D.E festival in Live Oak, which is about 1.5 to two hours from where we lived. B and I were totally forthcoming with our parents about where we were going and for what and even though I am sure that they were totally freaked out (what, with us all being under 18 and the potential for pot smoking and car accidents and stuff), they were sports. What Tory neglected to let us in on, however, was that she had lied to her mom about where we were going. B and I, being totally allowed to be out of town for the evening, were so excited about seeing Neil Young (who was headlining the tour), that we almost didn’t care that we were being eyed by a bunch of old drunk men in the crowd and occasionally fondled.  We got all the way through Neil’s first song and then were informed by Tory that she had to go home. We sort of ignored her at first, because we were mesmerized by the candle-lit stage and the beautiful acoustic guitar and summer air, but as the music got louder, so did Tory.

Needless to say, Neil starts to play my favorite song and Tory begins to drag us out of the crowd and toward the car.  So I got to hear this song played live almost one whole time, but I didn’t get to see a damn thing.

Still bitter. Damn it.



No comments: