9.23.2005

Freak Magnet

I am fairly positive that, in a matter of minutes, a guy in my office is going to ask me out. What makes me positive, you ask? Well, I have recognized the signs since his first day. The incessant calling to ask questions even though they wouldn’t have anything to do with me, the walking by my desk when he has no reason at all to ever have to do that, the playful banter he always initiates, and now today, the email.

It wasn’t blunt, but it was in a more familiar context than I would have expected from someone I know nothing about. It started with a question, to which I explained that I would not be the correct person to ask and offered to forward his question to an appropriate individual. Then the playful, sort of familiarity occurred and caught me off guard.

It is still happening, as I type this. He beats around the bush, he tries to find out things without actually asking any questions. The kind of transparent things that boys do when they are fishing for information. The kind of things I wish that boys would not do at all. I wish that they would be direct. (I know that I will kick myself in the ass later for saying this). More often than not, I get bored very quickly with this sort of cat and mouse game.
I enjoy subtleties but not games, and there is a thin line.

I don’t date people that I work closely with anyway. I did it once. And I don’t even know if you could call it dating. It was more like, arguing about personal stuff at work and being constantly with the person with whom you are attempting to date. It didn’t last long and it was utterly torturous. I don’t want to do it again. I won’t do it again.

I am really bad at this whole thing to. Bad at not being interested. The majority of guys who are interested in me are not…well…not for me. And maybe I am too picky. Or maybe I am holding out. Or maybe I am just stubborn. But, I always, with nothing but the intention to preserve an ego, try and let people down too easily. So easily sometimes, (Lab Boy) that my point goes unnoticed. Ignored. And in his (Lab Boy’s) case, remained that way for two years. Now, as hard as I try, I can’t get him to understand that I am not interested.

I am a freak magnet.

2 comments:

wmjwatson said...

I've had mixed experiences with the whole work dating thing. It's hard to tell sometimes if you are REALLY interested or just FAMILIAR cause of all the time spent around each other.
BUT... I DO have one itty bitty question...
you say he has NO reason to walk by and NO reason to ask you the questions and apparently no real reason to ever HAVE to associate with you at work... so you two dont REALLY work all that closely, do you?
You could always do a friend get together type thingy.
Or give him the ultimate test... mention your plans (if they are out in a public place) and then see if he either tries for an invite or just shows up.
But it sounds like he needs a good smack... verbal or physical. It's hard to be nice sometimes.
I follow Dalton's Rule:
Be nice... until it's time to not be nice.
And sometimes.. you have to get downright mean.
I've been on both sides .. sometimes without realizing it, too. So I don't really ever ask anyone "out"... I talk and socialize. Whatever happens, happens and if nothing ever does, that's what happens. Anywho, have a wonderful weekend and thanks for giving me stuff to read during the day!!
And i even had time to write some, myself, today! :)

wmjwatson said...

WELL!?!?!?! DID HE OR DIDN'T HE!?!?!?