8.22.2007

On the swingset in O-Town...

About a million years ago, just after highschool, the crew and I took a trip to O-Town to visit Spliffany. It was one of those I'm-eighteen-and-I-will-drive-two-hours-in-the-middle-of-the-night-because-I-can trips that we took so often. Usually I was high or drunk and forcing Eppernepperhart to let me listen to "Stairway to Heaven" for the whole drive because I fucking loved that song. This time we got to Orlando right around midnight, just in time to celebrate Eppernepperhart's 21st birthday (while the rest of us were just 18 or 19). By the time we got to Spliff's house, her parents were pajama-clad and sleepy and she wasn't home. Naturally, the thing to do was to get a bottle of Mad Dog and then one of tequila and go to a park down the street.

Unfortunately, underage middle-of-the-night-public-intoxication is frowned upon in Orlando and the cops came. We scrambled to hide bottles under the slide and ran back to the swings that I spent so much of my Orlando time playing on...and then I started to cry because I swore I was going to get arrested. Magic Mike took a peppermint out of his mouth, placed it into mine and started to sing...."No Woman No Cry"...

Tonight Spliff and I watched a Bob Marley DVD that she got from The Idiot for her birthday and when the song came on, I started to cry...LIKE NEVER BEFORE. I felt like a moron. But I wanted to just go back for just a minute. Just long enough to laugh hysterically at the idiocy of the whole thing. Because good God, when the hell did I get so freaking old?! And when did Magic Mike and I become those people that run into each other in bars and pretend we don't have the most ridiculous history EVER?

No comments: