10.11.2005

Jay...this post might make you sad...

A favorite memory.

When JB came home for his first leave from the Air Force, I had just turned nineteen. I remember hearing over and over that week, the song that always made me think of him (and still does). I remember driving him back to our side of town when it came on the radio. I remember the conversation stopping abruptly and fighting back tears while trying to decipher the distance between the blurry lights on the road. And I drove, just praying he hadn't noticed.

But my favorite memory was the night at the apartment that Jay, Jeremeho, and the Molester shared. Me, Mikey, Matt, Jay, JB, Jeremeho, and The Molester, sitting on the floor and JB in the sombrero because he couldn’t win a game of Asshole. I remember watching the game intently and laughing and trying to help when TM couldn’t hold up his cards anymore and I remember JB’s failed attempts at faking him out.

I remember being warmed by the presence and the arms of friends that will always be in my heart. I remember tackling JB with Mikey and Matt when the night was over. I remember listening to Alan Jackson and laughing at JB’s belt buckle on the couch after everyone had left, hands intertwined, songs intertwanged, moments interrupted by uncomfortable (but hauntingly comfortable) silences. (No, Jay, I know you maintain that we were making out…but we weren’t…ASK JB…butthead).

That was the first day of the rest of our lives, you know. And now look how far we've come...In life...and from each other...

Stuck-in-my-head Song of the Day: "The Brews" - NOFX

No comments: