11.24.2006

The Reason for the Season

I’ve not been a fan of Thanksgiving in a long time. I have spent year after year dreading the day and running like a madwoman from house to house to house rushing through greetings and well-wishes and munching on food that my mom didn’t cook. So, I was happy that this year, I got to stay home. And by home, I mean, my own home, not my mom’s home. There was no homemade stuffing, which was evened out by the lack of the entire roast pig on the table. There are some things I am willing to forgo to avoid the pig. Stuffing is expendable.

This year, I got to decide who I wanted to see and who got to see me. So, surrounded by my closest friends, some family and a whole lot of turkey, I spent the day playing heated games of UNO and drinking. It truly did give me reason to be thankful. And sometimes I forget what those reasons are. But looking around last night and seeing the faces of so many of the people that I love together and chatting got me sort of emotional. (This may or may not have something to do with hormones. I did cry at a commercial the other day. And the Tony Bennett special on TV. So…) Either way, I went to bed with a belly stuffed with turkey and a heart full to the brim with love and satisfaction. Truly one of the best Thanksgivings that I have ever spent.

Thanks to those of you who made it happen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so jelous : ) Sounds fabulous!