5.26.2011

Preach On...

So, I try really hard not to get into touchy subjects here. Sex? Eh. Sometimes. Drugs? Come on, ya’ll, *I’m an adult. Rock and Roll. Yes. But Politics and Religion. No. Never. Not a chance.  And this is not because I don’t have strong views. Because I know that I DO have strong views and I would rather not have to argue with anyone here about them. This is my safe place.  And I know, I know, I should be saying a big FUCK YOU to anyone who comes here and wants to argue in MY house, but I would rather just not get into it. I will tell you though, internet. I don’t like hate. I don’t like war. I don’t like ignorance  and I will punch you in the face if you are a racist. That said, I am going to go ahead and give some props to my friend Hesper over here who got a little fed up with the whole passive-aggressive Muslim-bashing that happens on Facebook. (I am totally aware that it isn’t just Muslim-bashing, but all these “patriots” who get on their high-horses and start spewing their ridiculous, “patriotic” nonsense trying to tell the entire world that the USA is the best country in the world are really just proving that there are a lot of really stupid people here.)  Anyway…I got a little carried away…Sorry. (See above where I said that I don’t want to talk about this stuff here? Remember why? I ramble. And I get pissed. And I will punch you.)

Ahem…starting again…Hesper! My friend over here…wrote this on her blog and I thought, “Well hell…I totally agree. I am gonna bring her soapbox on over to my soapbox and they can hold hands and skip together and be friends for all eternity. (Also, she is awesome. Give her props.)

Enjoy! (Read: Holla if ya’ hear me!)

Brace yourselves. It is about to get all controversial up in heeeere. I am fired the eff up right now. A so-called “friend” of mine on facebook just posted the following:

I need to start a business in the middle east making land mines disguised as prayer mats.

Is it just me or is that absolutely disguisting? I thought all of the hate mongering almost 10 years ago was ridiculous, but I just can’t stand to listen to it at this point. Muslim does not equal terrorist, just like German does not = nazi. How can you write off an entire religion because on one major (awful) event?
The Islam faith did not attack the world trade centers, a group of religious fanatics did. I think it is important to remember that there are fanatics in every religion, race, country, etc.

Is it really fair to make Osama Bin Laden the face of Islam? I don’t think so.  I do, however, think it is high time people get over themselves. Burkas don’t come with bazookas and bibles don’t come with a license to judge the hell out of everyone else.


*Debatably.

3 comments:

Hespyhesp said...

I'm really glad our soapboxes can be friends. Thanks for the blog lovin', toots!

Jene said...

<3

That's really all that needs to be said.

Cynthia said...

I totally love this post - particularly the last sentence. I may steal it, but then you may punch me, but we can still be friends after so I'm good with that.

Whenever people get all high & judgey using Bin Laden as the face of Islam, it reminds that once upon a time King Richard (& that whole Crusade thing which slaughtered millions who wouldn't convert) represented the face of Christianity. Oh, and Spanish Inquisition anyone? Here's some immolation with your empanada...